| 11 : 15 – 13 March 2018 |
Inspired by spectacular mountains surrounding Suzuka city, Kyoto based Alphaville Architects designed Catholic Suzuka Church featuring a eye striking cascade of sloping roofs.
Located at a busy intersection in the motor city of Japan in Suzuka, this church houses a chapel, meeting room and father’s residence. Built on 2 floors, the church designed by Alphaville Architects for the Catholic Diocese of Kyoto, is a modernist architectural addition to the cityscape with its eye striking roofing. White galvanized steel sheets primarily covers all roof and the stairway leading to upper main floors. The shape of the building is no less striking as it tries to cover most of the site area on ground floor which has visitor parking and Mary’s garden.
From the Architects –
Responding to a dramatic growth in the foreign Catholic community in Suzuka, a new religious space is needed not only for worships but also social interactions. The Catholic Suzuka Church, presented by the Alphaville Architects, is an integration of multiple functions including a chapel, a community hall and residences for priests.
Approach road to church
Located in Suzuka, where the HONDA motor industry bases, the presented project is sitting on the cross junction of two major streets, with one being a newly built motorway and the remaining one being an ancient road connecting Tokyo and Osaka since Edo period.
Site location plan
The project features an expressive roof which wraps up all the functional spaces. It is shaped as multiple diagonal arches overlapping each other with gaps. This was inspired by the stunning mountain scape surrounding the city, and reminds citizens of the natural elegance.
To handle crowds on Sundays, the whole volume is lifted to maximize the car parking space underneath without shrinking the other functional areas.
The roof is split into pieces every five meters – referring to the parking lot module – for skylights to introduce southern natural light to the interiors. Connected by two gently inclined staircases, the pilotis and the entrance lobbies on second floor define a plaza for social events and buffering from the heavily motorized city.
Lobby connecting church and hall
Referring to the “Nori’s figure/ground theory”, the lobby is designed as an extension of the city pathways, manipulating relationships among the “inside-out” spaces converging at the church that allow easy approaches.
Confession room at the corner
With its lively gesture, this project surpasses precedents with enhanced accessibility, translating worships into daily-life philosophy and bridges mankind to the holy with falls of natural light.
Connecting lobbies, Chapel and meeting room
Project details –
Project Name – Catholic Suzuka Church
Lead Architects – Kentaro Takeguchi, Asako Yamamoto
Design team – Tomohisa Koike
Location – Suzuka City Mie, Japan
Client name – Catholic Diocese of Kyoto
Structural engineer – Takashi Manda
Main Contractor – Matsui Kensetsu Co., Ltd.
Completion Year – 2015
Built Up Area – 839.51 sqm | Site area – 1619.53 sqm | Total floor area – 1588.85 sqm
Total construction cost – 320 million
Photography Credits – © Toshiyuki Yano
Sanitary fittings – TOTO, Sanwa Company Ltd.
Ceramic fittings – TOTO, Sanwa Company Ltd.
Luminaries – Panasonic, DAIKO
Doors/Windows – LIXIL
Roofing & Facade – JFE Galvanizing & Coating Co., Ltd.